November 24, 2012

From Here to There, a place value freebie



One of the first games I teach my kids during the year is from our Partner Games book called From Here to There. Students will roll 2 or more dice depending on what place you are working to and then make a number with the rolled dice. For example, if I rolled a 6 and a 3 I could either make the number 63 or 36. It is important they understand they have a choice in making their number. Here is where the strategy comes into play. After you make a number. you choose which space to write it into. The object of the game is to make the game board go in order from smallest to largest number. If the number you roll can not be added to the board, you lose your turn!

There are tons of ways to differentiate this game! You can roll more or less dice for larger or smaller numbers ( I even play this game with my kindergartner with one die so she gets practice ordering numbers) My third graders learn how to play with 2 dice but quickly move to using 3, 4, 5, or even 6 dice. You could also have students make fractions or use decimals to make it more challenging for older grades!

I have this game in my TpT store for free! I also have a Christmas version!


What is your favorite place value game?




No comments:

Post a Comment