November 4, 2013

Math Monday and a few freebies

I am linking up for my very first Math Monday with A Burst of First (love her blog!)

I love math time and my kids love math games. They don't even know they are learning! Today I wanted to share a quick post to show you some things I have been using with my Tier II RTI group. 

The friends in my group are having issues with counting to 100 in less than a minute so we are now starting every lesson counting to 100 using a hundred chart and pointing to each number. I have a large sand timer so we can see if we are counting fast enough. I created this super boring simple chart to have students graph their progress after each progress monitoring probe. Good documentation and the kids like seeing their progress. 

Oral Counting Fluency Graph
Click the picture to snag a copy


We are also working hard on teen number identification. My kids can tell me what the number is called on a hundred chart, but can't name it in isolation. One of our progress monitoring tasks is quantity discrimination. The kids look at 2 numbers and name the larger one. Well, the kids can point to the larger one every time. However, they have to name it and they call 12, 20 and 13, 31 so they get them all wrong. So sad. They love this little review we do before each math lesson - proving that sometimes simple is fun. I hold these up like flash cards and the first person to read the number correctly gets to keep the card. Simple.Fast.Fun.Effective. If you want these cards, click on the image below to get them from Google Drive. 
teen number identification
Teen Number Identification 

Lastly, my whole class is working on solving addition and subtraction problems within 20. I created these Fall-themed problems to practice 1 per day whole group. This is just a quick time for us to talk about strategies and attack a problem together. Click the picture to get your copy in my TpT store.

addition and subtraction word problem freebie

If you grab any of these freebies or you have other ideas to help with RTI, I'd love to hear from you!! Night!



3 comments:

  1. I love your fall word problems! Thank you for the freebie!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw the fluency graph on pinterest and knew this is just what I need to be doing with my son. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fluency graph. Will work well in my class. Thank you for the time you take to create these resources which are so helpful to others like me.

    ReplyDelete