July 5, 2012

WBT

Do  you use pieces of Whole Brain Teaching? I used class/yes and the 5 rules last year. I also tried to talk less, use hand motions more and partner the kids up to teach each other the material. I want to go "all in" this coming year with my kindergartners. I know the importance of giving short chunks of information and having the students use that information in some way. I am so guilty of getting the kids on the carpet and talking WAY to long. Then they get frustrated and I get frustrated and no one is learning all that information at one time. This year I vow to talk less and really stick to doing mini lessons.... I know it will be hard for me, but it is my number 1 goal.

I read a blog post the other day by ?? (I am so sorry, I can't remember and couldn't find it. If it was you, please let me know!) she mentioned her principal told the staff to" do 5 things well" I needed to see/hear/read/digest that! I am the queen of having too many irons in the fire. I get really excited about what I am learning and I want to do everything right now! Is that a teacher thing? Anyway, for accoutnability sake, here are my 5 things I am going to do really well (at least I am going to try to do them really well!)
1. Implement Whole Brain Teaching
2. Daily 5 - scared to death about this one but I am committing myself to the process.
3. Daily 5 for math - I did lots of this in third grade but I want to get even better at pulling small groups in kinder.
4. Use pieces of Singapore math during my guided math lessons. I think it is SO important to really focus on number sense and S-L-O-W down where needed.
5. Blogging - I am going to try hard to really document my first year as a kindergarten teacher and write about what is working/not working for me. I am also going to try to create things for my classroom and share them through this blog.

I created a whole brain poster to match my classroom colors. I decided to make 2 different versions. One with the kindergarten rules as heard in this famous video below, and one with the "regular" rules. I made them in rectangles and circles for your displaying pleasure :) If you find any mistakes, please let me know!



Click here to get your copy


So, what are your 5 things? I would love to hear about them!















20 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the idea of doing 5 things well. That is great advice. I am glad you are going to take on Daily 5 - it's wonderful! I also LOVE whole brain teaching. I used Class/Yes, Teach/OK, and Smiley/Frownies. They truly worked well.

    Erica
    Sprinkles to Kindergarten
    erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to do daily 5. My school does guided reading and lots of Deb Diller stuff but no one actually does Daily 5 per say.... I hope it goes well and others will follow :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the idea of doing 5 things well too. I'm going to try to implement the basics of WBT this year too. I look forward to hearing more about how Daily 5 implementation goes, because I think that will be my next goal. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can help you make it go smoothly...

      Delete
  3. I too like the idea of doing 5 things well. I see a picture frame in my future to put in my room, to keep me on track. I love your WBT posters. I did a little last year, but also want to dive more deeply into it. Yes, it's definitly a teacher thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chose you for an award! Come check it out on my blog. Congratulations :)

    Lilian
    me teach good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, I was just getting ready to download the posters, when I noticed that there may be a mistake on the 11th slide, Rule #1. Should it say "listen when 'your' teacher is talking" ? I am not sure?!?
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cathy
    beagle2love@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I just fixed it there and on slide 16!!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for these great tools-
    I have read a little about WBT on several blogs.
    After reading your post I have checked out the website and registered....
    Time for me to do some studying!!
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have given you an award! Stop by my blog to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! I love them. I have some of the same goals for this year!

    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I really want to try wbt next year, and I really like the rules you added in there!

    dede @ 1stgradeevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Heather! I am also diving more deeply into WBT and D5 this year! I like your idea of picking 5 things to do well - now just to narrow it down to 5! I am going to a WBT conference in Union, MO next week. I hope to have lots of goodies to share. I will try to do a post on it next week. Thanks for sharing your rules posters!
    Tessa
    Spotlight on Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving this WBT. I have always used hand signals but I like how they do a lot of the teaching to each other. Thank you for posting this video!
    Modern Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the free posters! I hadn't even heard of WBT until last week! I've been looking into it a bit and want to try out a few things like you did last year. The posters will be helpful! :)

    Jessica
    Mrs. Heeren's Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was going to make some because I couldn't find any in neons but now I don't have to! Thank you!! These look awesome!

    Ginger Snaps

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an awesome freebie!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you...so kind of you to share this wonderful resource! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete