December 29, 2012

Subtraction with Regrouping - speed practice!

This post is a little late but I really wanted to share it with you! After teaching one of my least favorite, the most difficult skills - subtraction with regrouping, I found a really fun way to practice the skill. Behold, 3-digit Subtraction Borrowing Powerpoint Game by Christi from Ms. Fultz Corner - (click here to see it in her store)

Each student gets a dry erase board (or you can just use their desktop), a dry erase marker, a sock or tissue to erase with and then you start the powerpoint. Christi has set all the timing up for you so it is super easy to use. I just start the slide show and the kids get busy. When the chime sounds, students know to look up and check their answers.




                    They copy the problem onto their board, solve, and wait for the countdown to begin!









                           Loud clapping and cheering ensue and the next problem appears. Repeat fun!


Here are my three "this product is Ah-mazing" moments.
1. My kids, the same ones who take for.ev.er. to solve problems in their math journals, were racing to write and solve the problems in order to beat the clock. Seriously.

2. Because everything was already typed out - including the answer to each problem, I was TOTALLY free to walk around the room and watch/reteach as they were working. Behavior was a non issue because it was too fast paced to be off task and they were having fun. It was wonderful to go stand over the shoulder of certain friends and watch them work so I could see exactly where things were going wrong and reteach right then. Super powerful.

3. Kids begged (what??) me to practice more problems. sigh, I am in love.

**tip** they kids enjoyed this so much that I decided to make several versions. I just used Christi's original template and changed the numbers/answers and saved as subtraction with regrouping 1, 2, 3, etc... so I have lots of problems to choose from when we get a little extra time. I plan to do the same thing for multiplication in the 3rd quarter and even going back to create some for addition with regrouping for next year or as review. 


Please head on over and check out Ms. Fultz blog for lots of other great ideas!
Ms. Fultz's corner





2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad your students loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great activity! It is so awesome that your students responded so well to it. I will have to get it for my class too. I am hosting a New Year giveaway and would love for you to stop by and check it out!
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete